Professional Arts Fabrication Solutions
With the right fabricator, anything is possible.
As an arts fabricator, I work with DC-area artists on finding creative solutions to design challenges, whether that is in terms of reaching their targeted audience, choosing materials and methods of construction, or physically making their work of art. I provide services at an hourly rate, contract, under commission, or for a good trade.
- Assist artists in all aspects of arts ideation, production, handling, and installation
- Execute projects ranging from film or movie set and custom furniture construction to the construction of commercial spaces in wood and steel
- Experience leading and teaching art/ trades workshops at community centers, private studios, and businesses
Review a case study of Bob's fabrication work.
Speed Camera Movie Prop Fabrication
The Story: Where Aesthetic Realism Meets Functionality
I spent a number of years building sets and props full time for theater and television in the DC area, and still get requests for set pieces and props. Recently, I was asked to build a replica of a Washington, DC speed camera that would feature heavily in a short film being shot in NE DC. Discussing the prop with the director, I was able to ensure that the replica speed camera would meet her aesthetic needs as well as have all the functionality necessary for the actors, lighting, and stage crew to interact with it effectively for the duration of the shoot.
I fabricated the bulk of the speed camera out of plywood, clad the corners in angle iron (to survive an on-screen beating), and faux painted it to match DC speed cameras. Thanks to Alonzo Davis for providing studio space at Blue Door Studio for the build. A shout-out also to Rachel at Plakookie Studio for taking a practice swing at the camera for me- that really helped with mounting the cameras at the right height! After production wraps, I may be tapped to turn the prop into a little free library. It was a fun quick project.
Areas of Expertise
- Casting, welding, brazing, soldering and shaping of ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Patina (hot and cold, ferrous and non-ferrous) and related surface treatments
Electronics soldering and parts fabrication
Cabinetmaking/furniture production in traditional and modern methods
Carpentry: finish, framing, theatrical, and timber-framing
Heavy Equipment Operation
- Box truck, boom-lift, forklift, scissor-lift, and swing-stage experienced